New Student Orientation
Winter Orientation for students admitted to the university for the spring 2018 semester will open in late fall. Dates will be published soon.
Welcome to Virginia Commonwealth University!
We look forward to meeting you at New Student Orientation, where you’ll learn about all the resources and services available to new students. Think of it as your formal introduction to VCU.
During this action-packed program:
- Orientation Leaders will provide the inside scoop on academics, involvement and social life at VCU.
- Academic advisors will inform you about your area of study and review your schedule of classes.
- Faculty and staff will introduce you to campus resources and answer your burning questions.
- The time spent with your orientation team will help you make friends (and maybe find a roommate).
- You’ll participate in your first VCU tradition and become an official Ram!
NSO is required for first-year students, transfer students, international students and students who are returning to VCU after being away for more than three years. Parents and family members are welcome and encouraged to attend.
A schedule for winter orientation will be posted later in the fall. Learn more about what to expect.
New Student Orientation is twice a year. NSO sessions are based on academic major. Space is limited and seats fill up fast, so register as soon as possible once dates are made available.
You’ll attend based on the semester you plan to start:
Fall semester: Orientation is a two-day summer program with an overnight stay for first-year students. Transfer students attend for one day.
Spring semester: Orientation is a one-day event during winter break.
A nonrefundable program fee is required for all students and guests attending NSO and charged during online registration as follows below. Fee waivers are not available.
- Summer orientation, first-year students: $150 students/$50 per guest
- Summer orientation for transfer students: $75 students/$25 per guest
- Winter orientation: $75 students/$25 per guest
Student fees cover meals, parking, facility fees, orientation staffing, orientation materials and overnight accommodations (for summer orientation first-year students).
Guest fees cover program materials, lunch (on both days for guests of first-year students). Overnight accommodations are not included. For options, check with Richmond area hotels.
Before registering for NSO, you must:
- Accept your offer of admission
- Pay your tuition deposit
- If you have a waiver for the deposit, submit a response form to accept the admission offer.
- Take the math placement test if you are a first-year student.
Visit the orientation registration website to register for NSO. If you don’t see a date you’re able to attend, call us at (804) 828-3700. If you recently paid your tuition deposit and the site won’t allow you to register, try again after 48 hours.
Successful registration is followed by a confirmation email with details including arrival time, parking and what to pack. Make sure you receive the confirmation before making travel plans.