This year, VCU will welcome approximately 4,600 new first-year students. Join us this fall for an academic experience for VCU’s first-year parents: a course designed just for you!
“Beyond Orientation: Partnering for Success in Today’s University” is an online course that provides a network for parents, family members and VCU faculty and administrators. The program takes you beyond what you learn at orientation to give you a closer look at the first-year experience and what it means to be a student at today’s university.
You’ll hear from university leaders, who will discuss some of the key topics and issues in education today. In turn, your experience in the virtual classroom will help you relate to your student and their experiences.
For questions about the program, call (804) 827-8204 or email email@example.com.
Fall 2018 Registration forms will be available during New Student Orientation.
The Beyond Orientation course takes place throughout the fall semester and is completely online. Family members who register will receive information prior to the start of the semester with more information about how to log in and use the Blackboard system.
- The course fee is $25* (*fee is subject to change from year-to-year)
- You will become a registered nondegree-seeking student and will receive a grade for the course. You will be assigned a VCU student ID number (your V-number) and a VCU email account, which will give you access to all course materials.
- The course assignments are minimal and include weekly discussion posts (not graded), and one final two-page reflection on the course (graded).
- The course meets once weekly (typically on Thursday evenings) for one hour. Recordings of each course are available after class each week if you are unable to attend the live course.
- Course participants do not use video or voice, but can participate through the online chat function in Blackboard to ask questions and interact with other family members. You will be able to see the instructors, but they can't see you.